The online racing simulator
Sim Touring Car Cup Round 1
(161 posts, started )
Thats weird. I downloaded it in roughly an hour, which probably put it in the 100kb/s range. Ish. I wasn't paying tooo much attention. I started downloaded, saw the Estimated time, and cooked/ate dinner. Came back an hour and five minutes later, it was done.

Sadly though, my ISP blocks Torrents somehow (ports issue I suspect), and I never got the urge to figure out what was wrong and fix it. So I can't host it for you, sorry.
change the ports

I would BT it, but i have a slow upload, although i dont mind setting it off arounf midnight and stopping it at 5 am if you want?
outstanding. great matrix (very professional), cool cams, outstanding comment (thanx tristan) u nailed me 37mins on my hard chair here!

very well done, brilliant!

Quote from herki :Filefront is sucky slow here
I'm getting 0.5-1kB/s ... maybe anyone wants to share the 400mb one via bittorrent ?

ill try to make a torrent later tonight, ill give u the link then...
FileFront works fine here.
Downloading the movie with the average speed of ~ 70 kb/s
and here starteth round 2!
filefront is pretty ok by now (yep, still downloading ), but create the torrent anyway, i'll help seeding with my narrow upload too
Imo the only thing the series (and therefore the video) is lacking is a flashy intro a broadcast would have...

Something like this: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=8344 When I saw this promo movie, I almost expected to see a commentator speaking in his microphone: "Welcome to LfS GT, today we're at [insert babble here]"
Quote :Something like this: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=8344

Is that movie hosted on a download service that works? Megaupload says I have exceeded my download allowance as a free user, and has done after the second or so file I got from it...
I have the video, so I'll see what I can do about uploading it to google or U-Tube as soon as I can compile the credits for who made the thing, and as permission from those who made it.

IMHO, however, its not too much to look that that can't be described. Just an intro with a bunch of cars running around (essentually, it shows the 'best moments' of one of the leagues, rounds 1-4), and at the end has a big League logo that hovers for a moment before fading out.

Sorta like at the start of your broadcast, but instead of "South City, Sprint I" have something more particular to your league (Yes, I know its on the top . I'm just claifying what I think he was suggesting).
Quote from Jakg :and here starteth round 2!

Anxiously awaiting the video for the second round!
Quote from Cue-Ball :Anxiously awaiting the video for the second round!

...little heads up - it will be MAD to watch!
Quote from Shinrar :I have the video, so I'll see what I can do about uploading it to google or U-Tube as soon as I can compile the credits for who made the thing, and as permission from those who made it.

IMHO, however, its not too much to look that that can't be described. Just an intro with a bunch of cars running around (essentually, it shows the 'best moments' of one of the leagues, rounds 1-4), and at the end has a big League logo that hovers for a moment before fading out.

Sorta like at the start of your broadcast, but instead of "South City, Sprint I" have something more particular to your league (Yes, I know its on the top . I'm just claifying what I think he was suggesting).

Right, if you're just telling the content of the promo... I was thinking more of the psychological effect... In broadcast, you need something flashy that tells the audience: Focus your attention here, we'll start <whatever>... The first time I saw the Race 1 Video, it was kinda: So, is this a commercial before the actual video or is that already the highlights or what is it? And whereas the rest of the video has nicely made backgrounds, the intro only features some cars in not too exciting situations and a text you almost don't notice... Of course, the moderators and the other credits would have to move to the first or last scenes of the actual broadcast...
I know you guys are using LFS Companion's data output and parsing abilities to get the statistics for each race. I'm not sure if you've considered it or not (or maybe you're already doing this and I don't realize it) but Companion might also be very helpful when making replays. For instance, you could have it watch for gained positions, off-track excursions, pit stops, damage, etc. When any of those things happen it could output to a log file or a second page of stats. This would allow you to quickly replay the race (say, at 16X speed) then look at the log file. Before "filming" or editing even begins you would know exactly what car has a crash and when. You'd know when a car gains a position and exactly when it happens. You'd know whenever someone pits. You get the idea.

I'm guessing that this could save a TON of time during editing because you'd know exactly which cars you need to focus on at all times. Since you don't have dozens of camera men watching the track simultaneously, this might make creating the replays faster and easier while also helping prevent missing any of the action.
Just a Cue, Cue-Ball (couldn't resist ): Companion was made to assist the STCC. It's it's main purpose.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Just a Cue, Cue-Ball (couldn't resist ): Companion was made to assist the STCC. It's it's main purpose.

Yes, I understand that. But it doesn't appear that Companion is looking for crashes, off-road moments, car damage, etc. It records sector times, lap times, car position, etc but doesn't look for "hot moments". This is something that LFS movie maker used to do and I thought it would be useful here as well.
There are things I want to do with LFSC to improve the footage of the races, a time coded position ticker being one of them for instance, i'm still figuring out the best way to work that. LFSC has a lot of it's own issues to solve and work that it needs so it's all a matter of one thing at a time.

I'll tell you what I do have though, I have a dozen cameragirls on the track at once.

Yup. I do. They're all me

I record each race in full from numerous static cameras, throw in a few standard LFS cameras where I tab up/down the action, and this time some custom camera angle onboard shots.

Then this time (although this wasnt ready at round 1 and is still untested) I play back up to 12 streams simultaneously onscreen and pick which one I want to watch, it then plays back a little output window with the camera switches that I fraps and voila I have a rough edit telling me which camera I wanted to show.
Doesn't that sorta take...ages? I mean, watching/"camera-ing" the race 12 times, then doing a rough edit, then doing a re-edit, then adding the commentary.

I'm also curious what software you're using that will allow you to play back 12 streams simultaneously. Are you using actual broadcast equipment of some sort?
Just a little something I wrote, i'm not saying it doesnt drop frames or anything, but it does the job.

Sure it does take time to create all 12 streams, 6hrs to be precise. That's actually not too bad though. Sure a more automated camera system might come along soon, partly because I might write it, but these things take time to develop and it's a matter of priorities.
Awesome video for sure. Might watch it a few times again. Can't wait for the others...

...What programs did you use to make all of this?
Quote from Becky Rose :Sure it does take time to create all 12 streams, 6hrs to be precise.

SIX HOURS!?:sadbanana
Quote from Becky Rose :There are things I want to do with LFSC to improve the footage of the races, a time coded position ticker being one of them for instance, i'm still figuring out the best way to work that. LFSC has a lot of it's own issues to solve and work that it needs so it's all a matter of one thing at a time.

I'll tell you what I do have though, I have a dozen cameragirls on the track at once.

Yup. I do. They're all me

I record each race in full from numerous static cameras, throw in a few standard LFS cameras where I tab up/down the action, and this time some custom camera angle onboard shots.

Then this time (although this wasnt ready at round 1 and is still untested) I play back up to 12 streams simultaneously onscreen and pick which one I want to watch, it then plays back a little output window with the camera switches that I fraps and voila I have a rough edit telling me which camera I wanted to show.

Crikey! The amount of work involved makes the end result even more impressive
Why don't you use torrents or eMule for sharing the replay?
Quote :Why don't you use torrents or eMule for sharing the replay?

If somebody wants to set that up then feel free but there is no marketting advantage in me promoting it or trying to use it as a primary delivery medium.

As a software author myself I find the concept of p2p stands against everything i've ever worked on or toward, and i'm glad that a high proportion of p2p users end up infected with malware of some kind. I appreciate there are legitimate uses of the technology, but if it was only used for legitimate purposes there would not be enough users to sustain the networks.
But for a very large version, say >250MB, torrent would be sensible and accessable. If it were available I'd be downloading a higher quality version of the coverage right now via torrent.

Sim Touring Car Cup Round 1
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG