The online racing simulator
gear change in FBM
(13 posts, started )
gear change in FBM
when do you change gear in the FBM? i change at 2/3 red lights. is that right or should i be waiting till there all lit?
#2 - wien
Personally I change at the first red light, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. I assumed it's like in the other cars; red light = shift.
I like to know this also... red usually means change gear, but there are like 4 red lights :S
I change at 9000rpm.. I use a custom view so dont see any lights
#5 - ajp71
I press the paddle when the first red light comes on and lift my foot as soon as the penultimate red light comes on. This means I shift either at or just before the final red light but never hit the limiter. Personally I think trying to make it bounce off the limiter is a waste of time

Quote from [The.O.C] LaughingGravy :I change at 9000rpm.. I use a custom view so dont see any lights

If we're going to allow arcade views (I know there might be a couple of racers genuinely use them to get a realistic view adjusted to their liking, but I'm sure in the majority of cases visibility suddenly improves hugely in some silly realistic view) why are we letting them keep the perfect shift light? At least put them on the same LED system that the rest of us use
#6 - JTbo
It seem to be that limiter kicks in before last led, so I shift just before limiter, around same when I turn leds off so they don't distract me and I can do driving by ear and looking where I would look anyway, further ahead to track.
seems that peek power is set to 8948rpm, and that the limiter kicks in at 9200 (ish) meaning that it seems changing up at the 4th light is best. hmm not much of a gap between peak power and the limiter though? seems the same deal on the fox now.

Edited to add: ive just tryed to read the rev's and it seems 9000rpm is 4/5 lights but 8900 is 2 so not sure anymore. gonna stick with shifting at 2/3
From the training part of LFS:

Quote :
Rev the engine before the start to get a better accelaration. The car has so much grip that you can floor the throttle with no worry about wheelspin. Shift up about when you see the third red light.

the thing revs to 9000. so I shift when my ears start to bleed.
Quote from ajp71 :I press the paddle when the first red light comes on and lift my foot as soon as the penultimate red light comes on. This means I shift either at or just before the final red light but never hit the limiter. Personally I think trying to make it bounce off the limiter is a waste of time

If we're going to allow arcade views (I know there might be a couple of racers genuinely use them to get a realistic view adjusted to their liking, but I'm sure in the majority of cases visibility suddenly improves hugely in some silly realistic view) why are we letting them keep the perfect shift light? At least put them on the same LED system that the rest of us use

If your 8ft tall my custom view would be very realistic.
#11 - wark
Quote from andybarsblade :seems that peek power is set to 8948rpm, and that the limiter kicks in at 9200 (ish) meaning that it seems changing up at the 4th light is best. hmm not much of a gap between peak power and the limiter though? seems the same deal on the fox now.

Edited to add: ive just tryed to read the rev's and it seems 9000rpm is 4/5 lights but 8900 is 2 so not sure anymore. gonna stick with shifting at 2/3

Careful, you want to shift after peak power.

Power peaks, then tapers off till it's finally equal to next gear's power, which is when the shift light comes on. This is why the shift light comes on later the taller (with relation to the selected gear) the next gear is.
Quote from [The.O.C] LaughingGravy :I change at 9000rpm.. I use a custom view so dont see any lights

Exactly the same here. Well, or, I use chase veiw, but thanks to the speedo I can see when it reach up to aprox 9000 rpm, and then the red light starts to glow and I shift up
I belived that as long as you changed gears when the red mark on the speedo pops up - it`s ok
Quote from andybarsblade :seems that peek power is set to 8948rpm, and that the limiter kicks in at 9200 (ish) meaning that it seems changing up at the 4th light is best. hmm not much of a gap between peak power and the limiter though? seems the same deal on the fox now.

The Formula BMW website gives it as 140bhp @ 9000rpm with a 9250rpm rev limiter, so I presume 8948 is nearer the real value.

gear change in FBM
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG