The online racing simulator
2012 Indy 500 Attendance: 220,000

Pretty good numbers really. It's still going to be the most attendend racing event of the year despite the small drop that's due only to the poor economy and relativly high gas prices from previous years.

Indy 500 TV Ratings were slightly down this year for some reason. Total TV viewship has been down this year across the board though in the US. I have no explanation for that personaly.

The race should have had higher TV ratings, but NASCAR ratings have been dropping too. People just aren't watching as much racing as they used to here I guess. Kind of sad alot of people missed the Indy 500..
Why watch TV when you can watch it online? Same thing for NASCAR and many other racing series.

Its not always that less are tuning in, just using an alternative way to watch.
Quote from Cornys :2012 Indy 500 Attendance: 220,000

Pretty good numbers really. It's still going to be the most attendend racing event of the year despite the small drop that's due only to the poor economy and relativly high gas prices from previous years.

Indy 500 TV Ratings were slightly down this year for some reason. Total TV viewship has been down this year across the board though in the US. I have no explanation for that personaly.

The race should have had higher TV ratings, but NASCAR ratings have been dropping too. People just aren't watching as much racing as they used to here I guess. Kind of sad alot of people missed the Indy 500..

bad numbers... last year's attendence was around 300.000

It's maybe the best attended racing event in the USA. Nürburgring also had around 200.000 this year, LeMans will again be around 250.000.
Quote from TFalke55 :bad numbers... last year's attendence was around 300.000

I thought so, when i saw the grandstands. From some shots it looked pretty full, but on closer look there was loads of empty spots. Maybe the prerace shenanigans, uncertainity about full grid turned some fans out of there.
Quote from DeKo :The 2 aren't exclusive, I watch both road and oval and absolutely enjoy both, I'm sure plenty of people do.

This.
Maybe they'll drop the ticket prices a bit and I'll be able to go next year. :P
Keep in mind that last year was the 100th Anniversary, so it was bound to be packed (It'll be the same for the 100th Running).
Quote from DeKo :The 2 aren't exclusive, I watch both road and oval and absolutely enjoy both, I'm sure plenty of people do.

BUT I THOUGHT INDY WAS DOOMED WITHOUT DANICA!

Sorry, I had too.
Has been taken down but:
Quote :#INDYCAR @indycar it is true that an owner is calling others trying to get me fired. I have had several owners confirm this. disappointing
@RBINDYCAR on Twitter

Must be a Lotus team, Randy is probably Indys most Valuable asset ATM.
Quote from Mustafur :Must be a Lotus team, Randy is probably Indys most Valuable asset ATM.

I think it could be HVM since there now is a rule that they have to stay with a supplier throughout the year. If they get out of the top-22 they loose the chance to get IndyCar's grant
If you appreciate Randy's work and hope he stays as IndyCar CEO, please consider signing this petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com ... rd-as-the-ceo-of-indycar/

Online petitions might not be world changers, but the least we can do as fans is to show support to people like Randy, who care and work hard for the sport we love
Quote from TFalke55 :I think it could be HVM since there now is a rule that they have to stay with a supplier throughout the year. If they get out of the top-22 they loose the chance to get IndyCar's grant

No way this is HVM alone. Wiggins is the owner with the least influence right now. 1 car team, and only team on Lotus power. His team is in a very dire situation right now, but he just isn't in position to whine. No other team owner would stand for him, since he's the only one concerned by this problem right now, and he has put himself in his situation - unlike other former Lotus teams, he had actually chosen the Lotus in the first place.

The series has a very healthy car count right now. Wiggins might have a marketable driver with strong sponsors, but 25 entries isn't much different to 26. If he's unhappy, he could aswell be shown the door. Just see what happened to Conquest and Shank.

BTW, I personally think that Wiggins is in good terms with the series right now. You know why? He basically received 300.000$+ price money for a start and park at Indy, thanks to IndyCar's, Chevy's and Honda's decision to secure two slots for Lotus.

__

The owner(s) in question are most likely part of Chevrolet roster - the turbo gate has left a few people very sore and angry. Randy Bernard has stated it isn't Roger Penske. Robin Miller has stated it isn't Dennis Reinbold.

Let's just wait and see before dragging names in the dirt, IMO.
Ok, thinking about what you said Yann, HVM is really not the first team to think of. As long as it is just one team owner and as long as he cannot convince others to follow him it might be disappointing but it shouldn't be exagerated.

"If IndyCar team bosses haven't learnt a lesson from the split, then the American Open Wheel sport doesn't deserve to survive.", a quote I found in a German Motorsports forum.
If its Micheal Andretti we may have a problem.
Quote from Mustafur :If its Micheal Andretti we may have a problem.

That he leaves for NASCAR.

Ehm... no I see, Andretti family is one of the most influencing once in IndyCar. BUT! As of now, it doesn't seem like the person wanting to fire RB has any followers. This somehow speaks against Andretti being involved of this. So far it is only the start of a intrigue.
Quote from Mustafur :If its Micheal Andretti we may have a problem.

That's unlikely, with all the work he's doing to promote the series.

The most popular rumours say it's John Barnes of Panther, with the support of Tony George.

Meh. Let's just wait and see now. No need to feed the filthy gossips.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Tony George

I remember there was gossip about him wanting to do something like that when he was reentered into the Indy family when he becme a director of Hulman & Company when the board was expanded.
oh Tony George lol, no one will take it seriously then.
BTW it is said to be Chevy owners and Tony George wanting to "take his series back".
Quote from PMD9409 :BTW it is said to be Chevy owners and Tony George wanting to "take his series back".

I have to laugh about "his" series. Next person to claim it is "his" will be Ecclestone for paving the way of IRL's creation.
#550 - CSF

2012 IndyCar Series
(957 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG