The online racing simulator
What Car Do you Race ?
(130 posts, started )
And why the hell would you get used to it in the first place?!?!?!

Tristan sounds nice. Get a small camera mounted somewhere so we ca see some of that godly talent :P
Quote from Primoz :
Tristan sounds nice. Get a small camera mounted somewhere so we ca see some of that godly talent :P

He already does, you can watch them on his website, if he gets round to putting them up that is
The general rule of thumb is this:

If the camera works, I have a poor race
If the camera doesn't, I have a good race.

Saturday: The camera worked, caught my off-track excursion in the wet (on slicks), caught my catch up to 4th (and another spin on the way), and worked faultlessly in practice too.

Sunday: The camera worked for the first 300MB of footage (a race is usually about 1.5GB) in both practice and the race. It caught my stall, my push start and passing 6 cars on the opening lap, but then failed on the entry to the chicane. Hence the great race.

However, there should be plenty of trackside video footage from three different points, as well as lots of photographs taken by my brother. I'll upload them at some point this week.

I'd been experimenting with H.264 on my video gallery, but it's not a good idea as most people can't watch them, so I'm going to convert them to avi or wmv, which everyone seems to be able to watch... Just got to work out a decent codec really - Mediacoder is great, but I get confused by all the options!

Edit: Some pictures: Taking 2nd place on my way to victory; My father and I pleased as punch; the podium, flanked by Kevin Mason (Dallara) and Andy Woolley (Reynard).
Attached images
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
Nice
#30 - 5haz
Nice pictures Tristian and congrats on your brilliant first win.

I did race a Ginetta G20 last year, until the money ran out, now the car is going back to the factory and iv'e had to go back to the reality of racing some noughts and ones.

Anyway, im just glad that I got to do what many don't ever even think about doing.

PS: Tristian I notice in the first picture that you appear to have negative pitch on the front wing, wouldn't that cause handling problems or am I just being ignorant?

Donnington Park last year entering the Old Hairpin
Quote from tristancliffe :The general rule of thumb is this:

Saturday: The camera worked, caught my off-track excursion in the wet (on slicks), caught my catch up to 4th (and another spin on the way), and worked faultlessly in practice too.

Sunday: The camera worked for the first 300MB of footage (a race is usually about 1.5GB) in both practice and the race. It caught my stall, my push start and passing 6 cars on the opening lap, but then failed on the entry to the chicane. Hence the great race.

However, there should be plenty of trackside video footage from three different points, as well as lots of photographs taken by my brother. I'll upload them at some point this week.

I'd been experimenting with H.264 on my video gallery, but it's not a good idea as most people can't watch them, so I'm going to convert them to avi or wmv, which everyone seems to be able to watch... Just got to work out a decent codec really - Mediacoder is great, but I get confused by all the options!

Edit: Some pictures: Taking 2nd place on my way to victory; My father and I pleased as punch; the podium, flanked by Kevin Mason (Dallara) and Andy Woolley (Reynard).

Tristan - H.264 is probably more common than you think. VLC plays it in the 3 major OS's, Quicktime plays it in OSX and Windows. Not particularly obscure format.
Congrats Tristan

Hopefully I'll be sprinting & hill climbing alongside my Dad in this beast (Locust kit car)! Currently car isn't ready, the 1.3 fordy cross flow is out and a Suzuki GSXR 1000cc is now mounted in it. Dad reckons it should have about 170bhp behind it now!

Has taken a lot longer than expected so not looking very likely that we'll be doing much/anything competitive with it this year. Still got the wiring to sort, fuel pump, fuel tank, another 3 tyres ... the list doesn't end.

Hopefully we can do some track days in it at least to get some mileage under our belts. I've never driven anything like this in anger so could be done with all the testing I can get!

Picture is pretty crappy, taken on a phone. Currently doesn't look like that, at the moment it's in bits!
Attached images
locust.jpg
Quote from tristancliffe :The general rule of thumb is this:

Just curious, is that one of those wheelcovers on the first pic?
Quote from 5haz :PS: Tristian I notice in the first picture that you appear to have negative pitch on the front wing, wouldn't that cause handling problems or am I just being ignorant?

Because of the profile it probably works out at about 2°, but the first half of the wing is negative. However aerofoils work at negative angles of attack. At Snett it's ALL about reducing drag!

Quote from Btoryo :Just curious, is that one of those wheelcovers on the first pic?

Not quite. On the white/red car (as opposed to my red/white car ) Reynard introduced what are called "Dustbin Lid" wheels, which were meant to reduce drag.

I think they're ugly though. Our car is a couple of years older, and is meant to have normal wheels, so that's what it's got.
Tristan..ever thought of the possibility that your new cape is actually the cause of your newfound speed?

U should track the original one down and wear it on every podium u get..it's clearly a good luck charm :-)

Ontopic : dont race anything but i do have a '89 golf mk II GTI that's insured as a classic car. It's fully stock so luckily it doesn't look like many of the tuning kids cars, but it still goes well weighing only 900kg for 123hp.
Hehe
Quote from keiran :Congrats Tristan

Hopefully I'll be sprinting & hill climbing alongside my Dad in this beast (Locust kit car)! Currently car isn't ready, the 1.3 fordy cross flow is out and a Suzuki GSXR 1000cc is now mounted in it. Dad reckons it should have about 170bhp behind it now!

Has taken a lot longer than expected so not looking very likely that we'll be doing much/anything competitive with it this year. Still got the wiring to sort, fuel pump, fuel tank, another 3 tyres ... the list doesn't end.

Hopefully we can do some track days in it at least to get some mileage under our belts. I've never driven anything like this in anger so could be done with all the testing I can get!

Picture is pretty crappy, taken on a phone. Currently doesn't look like that, at the moment it's in bits!

Take this Gixer thou out and replace it with a gixer 13 thous (Hayabusa engine) The 1000 engine is a powerful engine but why not spend that extra money and buy a Hayabusa engine?
Maybe because they want to be in a specific class, or maybe they already had a 1000cc engine, or maybe they couldn't afford the considerable extra money to go to the Hayabusa engine... Could be lots of reasons.

Why did I put a 2000cc Toyota engine in mine when I could have bought a 3500cc ex-F1 engine? Cost, time, regulations.

We've already had a discussion about you racing Sam, and it's pretty obvious to me you don't really have a clue about it. You say that despite not having much engineering knowledge you're going to build an F3 car when you're 20, race it for a year until you get talent spotted (but you don't know how much this costs), you think you've experience lateral g forces on a bike, and you claim you had a BIG bike accident, but it turns out you fell off a push bike and tried to sue the council for it... I don't think you should be giving out ANY sort of motorsport or technical advice.
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe because they want to be in a specific class, or maybe they already had a 1000cc engine, or maybe they couldn't afford the considerable extra money to go to the Hayabusa engine... Could be lots of reasons.

Why did I put a 2000cc Toyota engine in mine when I could have bought a 3500cc ex-F1 engine? Cost, time, regulations.

We've already had a discussion about you racing Sam, and it's pretty obvious to me you don't really have a clue about it. You say that despite not having much engineering knowledge you're going to build an F3 car when you're 20, race it for a year until you get talent spotted (but you don't know how much this costs), you think you've experience lateral g forces on a bike, and you claim you had a BIG bike accident, but it turns out you fell off a push bike and tried to sue the council for it... I don't think you should be giving out ANY sort of motorsport or technical advice.

I was going to put in about does the rules and regs stop you from doing this but someone knocked on the door so I just posted it as it was.
Don't bring my bike accident in to it when you don't know how poor the road was in terms of cleaness, also the sign I hit was illegal, the edges weren't rounded they were pointed, the sign wasn't the right height and wasn't in the right place, as it was to close to a pedestrian pathway, I will answer your question now what will be how do you know this, well my dad works in construction (Heavy Plant Operator) and he knew the regs of signs and even checked them on the net just to make sure the regs on the certain type of sign was the same as he thought and they were. We have a solicitor who is welcome to take the case up we just have to email him the picture and I can post a picture if want to show how bad it was, one of a couple of days after and one the day after my operation.
Anyway about the engine, I know a few people with Hayabusa engines in their cars, one is a caterham with one in, a old mini copper with one in and a old clio with on in and i can say they are little pocket rockets.
I may not know the technical data about racing but I do know the little bits to know. I said I would like to race F3 cars at the age of 20 or a bit older, just for a hobby, oh and actually I do know a lot about a certain racing sport what is motorcross as I used to race when I was younger and not bragging but I was bloody good at it, the only reason I gave up was because my bike was a lot more powerful then the others in my class. Used to race a 50 as I was only 5 when I started and sometimes I went into the 85cc class and my best result was 8th and on a 50cc against about 30 85cc bikes is good going.
Anyway I am not getting into a dispute about it as yes, you will know more about single seaters as you race one and I am not going to challenge you on what you know as I still have a lot to learn about Single Seaters. Anyway, I am going to leave it at that.
Quote from sam93 :Take this Gixer thou out and replace it with a gixer 13 thous (Hayabusa engine) The 1000 engine is a powerful engine but why not spend that extra money and buy a Hayabusa engine?

Maybe because 160bhp is more than enough power for learning to drive competitively in a light car on road tires?
I race anything "they" throw at me, could be anything from a SUV to a hothatch. Someone has to do the dirty job. lol. I don't complain though.

@ Tristan : you got a 3s-ge in that F3 ?
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe because they want to be in a specific class, or maybe they already had a 1000cc engine, or maybe they couldn't afford the considerable extra money to go to the Hayabusa engine... Could be lots of reasons.

When did I say build one, I said buy a F3 car.

Quote :you think you've experience lateral g forces on a bike

I said I have felt something like G Force(well it certainly felt like G Force, it was hurting my stomach like hell and I was struggling to keep grip of my uncles back) when on the back of my uncles K2 GSXR 1000 doing over a ton on a track before you say on a road.
Quote from sam93 :Rant about signs

If you were that confident, and your dad knew that much about signs then it would have been an open and shut case. The fact you haven't even asked a lawyer about it tells me everything.
Quote from sam93 :Anyway about the engine, I know a few people with Hayabusa engines in their cars, one is a caterham with one in, a old mini copper with one in and a old clio with on in and i can say they are little pocket rockets.

Yes, I'm sure they are (until the clutch dies, or the oil surge kills it), but what's that got to do with anything? A 1000cc bike engine is sufficient to make a pocket rocket too (even though pocket rocket is generally a term used on small two-stroke bikes.
Quote from sam93 :I may not know the technical data about racing but I do know the little bits to know. I said I would like to race F3 cars at the age of 20 or a bit older, just for a hobby, oh and actually I do know a lot about a certain racing sport what is motorcross as I used to race when I was younger and not bragging but I was bloody good at it, the only reason I gave up was because my bike was a lot more powerful then the others in my class. Used to race a 50 as I was only 5 when I started and sometimes I went into the 85cc class and my best result was 8th and on a 50cc against about 30 85cc bikes is good going.
Anyway I am not getting into a dispute about it as yes, you will know more about single seaters as you race one and I am not going to challenge you on what you know as I still have a lot to learn about Single Seaters. Anyway, I am going to leave it at that.

Riiiiiiiiiiight... Good luck!

Quote from Michel 4AGE :@ Tristan : you got a 3s-ge in that F3 ?

Yup, on 48mm Dellortos

Quote from sam93 :When did I say build one, I said buy a F3 car.

My bad. It's hard work reading your 'writing'
Quote from sam93 :I said I have felt something like G Force(well it certainly felt like G Force, it was hurting my stomach like hell and I was struggling to keep grip of my uncles back) when on the back of my uncles K2 GSXR 1000 doing over a ton on a track before you say on a road.

That's vertical g. If that hurts you'll struggle with lateral g.
Quote from tristancliffe :If you were that confident, and your dad knew that much about signs then it would have been an open and shut case. The fact you haven't even asked a lawyer about it tells me everything.
Yes, I'm sure they are (until the clutch dies, or the oil surge kills it), but what's that got to do with anything? A 1000cc bike engine is sufficient to make a pocket rocket too (even though pocket rocket is generally a term used on small two-stroke bikes.
Riiiiiiiiiiight... Good luck!

Yup, on 48mm Dellortos

Well after about 3 months from being discharge from hospital where I lost about a stone it would hurt, I have experienced lateral g, in a car, lateral g is when it pushes into isn't it? I was going to go a one of those G force simulators but because of my accident they didn't let me.
Quote from tristancliffe :If you were that confident, and your dad knew that much about signs then it would have been an open and shut case. The fact you haven't even asked a lawyer about it tells me everything.

Best to get a lawyer because of the compensation as well, if they weren't in the wrong why have they changed the signs?

I know the term pocket rocket normal goes on bikes but who cares. I use sayings for different things you do.
So you don't know what lateral g is, but you think you've felt it? Riiiiight. Quit now, whilst you're only a bit behind. Only losers chase ambulances.
Quote from tristancliffe :So you don't know what lateral g is, but you think you've felt it? Riiiiight. Quit now, whilst you're only a bit behind. Only losers chase ambulances.

I'm not really bothered about all this racing side, I am just a bit pee'd off why you had to bring my accident into this, so why did you have to bring it into it.
Because it was relevent to my point. You never said "This is a secret, do not tell anyone about this".
Quote from sam93 :
Don't bring my bike accident in to it

I missed this, you're seriously suing the council for cycling into a sign? Best of luck and I suggest you spend the compensation on an eye sight test.

Quote : the only reason I gave up was because my bike was a lot more powerful then the others in my class

Might explain why you were so bloody good...

Quote from tristancliffe :

On a bike under acceleration you'll experience pretty minimal G forces, certainly under 2G, which if it really bothers you I suggest you're not physically fit enough to safely ride a fast bike or drive racing cars. I've found vertical Gs only really get noticeable over 5G sustained for several seconds, where controlling an aircraft becomes a lot more physically demanding. Lateral Gs are typically much harder to deal with because they're a side force on the neck and unlike simple compression from vertical Gs require effort to counter them. They pretty much unique to motorsport and only problematic in downforce cars and some karts.

Quote :I have experienced lateral g, in a car, lateral g is when it pushes into isn't it? I was going to go a one of those G force simulators but because of my accident they didn't let me.

You haven't experienced much lateral G, a car on road tires will typically pull around 1G even on and beyond the limit, that's not enough to be a real problem and really most of the neck ache one might experience on track is just the weight of the helmet not the G forces.

If you think you've experienced high Gs in a road car and bike under acceleration and obviously you did some kind of neck damage when you fell off your bike I'd seriously suggest thinking twice about racing, if you think those are uncomfortable you're in for a shock when you start experiencing true lateral Gs in a single seater or vertical Gs doing aerobatics and you really don't want neck injuries from crashes.
Quote from ajp71 :I missed this, you're seriously suing the council for cycling into a sign? Best of luck and I suggest you spend the compensation on an eye sight test.

Well, I can sue the council because the sign was illegal, didn't meet the legal requirments. Oh and you really need good eye sight when your back wheel hits a pretty big rock when turning what then makes you come off going down a hill at about 10-15mph coming off sliding down and hitting your head so bad you nearly die. Well I wear classes yes but I knew that road very well so I knew my limits. The doctor said if it knocked me out I would be dead. The doctor was suprise how I could handle the pain he said I must be both physically and mentally strong. If you can survive what happened to me, then try arguing about it until then keep your mouth shut if you don't know the facts.
Oh and I am fit, as I am a very sporty person before my accident I done boxing, kickboxing, mixed martial arts and a bit of grappling, so that will tell you I am a fit person.

What Car Do you Race ?
(130 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG