The online racing simulator

Poll : Do You think there should be a mountain drift course?

Closed since :
Yes
No
Actually i think ive got something to offer on this...

Sega GT 2002 had a "rally" course that was both downhill and uphill. at the bottom you just turned around and the uphill course ran right next to the downhill. As if they were one wide road with a barrier of sno and ice down the middle.
Quote from Ian.H : *SNIP*
I'll move along once again and let you kids continue with your sandpit

Regards,

Ian

All I can see you contributing with, is bashing of the ones who aren't of the same opinion!

Anyways, a hillclimb track would be awesome, as I've said in an earlier thread.. If people want to drift on it, why should that be a problem? There are dedicated driftservers, so why complain..

Have a happy Valentine people!
Quote from Ian.H :You see, for every "argument" you put forward about it, there's an easy counter-argument.

would be true if i was arguing with you which im not ... all i ever did was thow some simple basics on conversations and human interaction at you in the hope you might learn something from it
but whats even worse than that is that youre totally wraped up in this stupid immature notion that arguments are a contest and can somehow be won

Quote from Ian.H :I do have opinions, and proud to have, as you say.. I also couldn't give a flying [insert expletive of your choice here] who I upset in the process of expressing them. If I have something to say, I'll say it.. if you or anyone else can't handle what I say.. that's your hangup, not mine.. this applies online or offline.

as they say oppinions are like ****s ... everybody has one
oppinions are nothing to be proud of ... especially if you have nothing but polemics to (not) back yours up
+1 for Mt Panorama, the greatest (short) mountain track in the world!
+1 for a hillclimb (nKPro is getting one :up
+1 for a mountain stage/circuit (in a rally context would be my preference - I guess we'll need rally cars :nod

As for the drift angle, I don't expect the LFS team will include anything that's just for drifters, who are a minority (an even smaller minority are the drifters who keep asking for things without seeing if they've been mentioned before ). That's not my racer's blood boiling over, it's just how I see the situation LFS is about racing, first and foremost. I can't be sure, but I don't think the focus will shift any time soon. If it does, I won't care as I'll just continue racing...

-1 for ridiculous, bitchy, ****ed-up drift arguments that go around in circles and cover the same ground endlessly.
-1 for drifters/racers/whoever taking the goddam bait every time someone throws it in the water. Both sides of the debate need to relax somewhat imho. I'm over it. Neither side is "right" here but people from either side can occasionally act like twats. It's getting tiresome.
#55 - JTbo
+1 for Both sides of the debate need to relax somewhat imho
I'll see that +1 and raise you a +1
Ever since tokyo super dorifto came out, all the little ricer boys think drifting is "mad tyte", and wanna sell their civics and get RWD cars to be a "dorifto master".

Im not a fan of drifting by any means, but i dont have anything against it. Some people do it because they really love the feeling, and they think its fun. other people do it because they saw Fast and the Furious, and wanna be "cool".

Yes, id LOVE to have a mountian pass for sprinted driving in this game. A ton of people would use it for drifting, and other people would use it for grip.

As long as the drifters kept drifting on the track for a drift server, or room or w/e, and didnt go into a room where people were actualy trying to set good times, and drive with grip down the mountain pass, then it could work out pretty well.

This would be more for online, just messing around, rather than racing. However, a point to point race wouldnt be bad, either, but the 2 lane roads would cause for a lot of crashes, when there are bad drivers.

Like sombody said, +1 for a touge track, -1 for calling it a "drift" track.
100% yes!!!!! we need some more drift type of tracks/ tracks with really good turns and alot of turns
#59 - JJ72
Come on, we all know Ian has an addiction on bashing drifting and if there's no drifters he can bash he will go mad, cut the poor boy a slack and just filter out his posts in our head for the sake of maturity.
Seems more like an addiction to... well, "taking the piss on the grass" from what I can tell.

(typical drunk behaviour really)

Advanced apologies for bastardizing and/or homologizing foreign terms I am not familiar with, but it seemed appropriate somehow

no harm really intended.. only a certain percentage of seriousness
well im half a drifter and a half of racer....i would realy like to see one track that has an uphill and its great for racers and drifters. And if u can make it for demo.....
Quote from T-6 TURBO :100% yes!!!!! we need some more drift type of tracks/ tracks with really good turns and alot of turns

The idea of a pure drifting track is stupid. I can see mountain roads but a track built specifically for drifting would be stupid and a waste.

D1GP & Formula D run mostly on portions of existing tracks. Good race tracks make good drifting tracks. We have good race tracks, therefore we have good drifting tracks.

Where did you get the "100% yes" figure from? Last I checked it was 50/50.
#63 - JJ72
Quote from luftrofl :The idea of a pure drifting track is stupid. I can see mountain roads but a track built specifically for drifting would be stupid and a waste.

ummmm lets just say in common sense, there's nothing as a drift course. There's no piece of tarmac in the world which you cannot drive over it unless you go completely sideways, cos it's just a piece of track afterall!!!

whether it's a drift course depends on how you use it really, somebody can call it a hill climb, I can call it rally monte carlo....I wouldn't mind having a real twisty road in LFS becauses there's never been such a road in serious racing simulators and I could love to see the challenge of it compare to a wide open race track.
Quote from HighRoad :well im half a drifter and a half of racer....i would realy like to see one track that has an uphill and its great for racers and drifters. And if u can make it for demo.....

I would bet that if said track was made (unlikely) that it would NEVAR be included for demo users.
#66 - JTbo
There was thread from Dragon road some time ago, I think quite many would like to see that kind of road in LFS too.

Thing is, you can actually make it so that it is loop and various configurations too as we don't need to stick only to existing roads, just get curves and hills from there
Hillclimbing is the oldest form of motorsport, to include a challenging hillclimb track (like Pikes Peak for the loose stuff or Mount Washington for a paved surface) would be a great addition to the game. Perhaps I'm biased since my long-term project car is for use in the British Hillclimb Championship though, lol.

By default any good hillclimb, when reversed, will then be suitable for 'drifting', thus keeping the Young and the Fashionable crowd happy.

I don't care for drifting myself (seems like a waste of tyres), but anyone thats watched a proper drifting competition can't deny the skill of the drivers and the mechanical prowess shown in the cars.

Oh, and for anyone that can remember back far enough, there was drifting in Britain over 50 years ago, it was just called "Broadsiding"
Quote from JamesK :Hillclimbing is the oldest form of motorsport

No it isn't. First auto racing events were "from city to city" -type, and took place in France. Hillclimb was introduced only few years later.
put a touge downhill/uphill track on LFS and let drifters drift and racers race.

The chance of Devs watching this thread is low after the usual fights around here. But if they are, a moutain course is a great match for most cars in lfs.
Hot version from jdm/BMI shows really well how my vision of a moutain pass should be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLD8JwtToI ae86 vs skyline Drivers view touge battle

there are oval, drag tracks, why not ? :\ bringing more japanese guys to lfs would be great, i like those guys
the devs have seen a million threads almost identical to this one. i'm thinking about buying netcar pro since they are gonna have a hillclimb course in that soon. i was going to wait for drivers republic... but i have no clue when that is coming out and the devs arent giving us much information.
First car race: 1895, first hillclimb: 1897 - you're right, but only just

Other than the Paris-Dakar rally, can you think of any other city to city races that are current forms of motorsport though? Thats not really within the scope of LFS, hill climbs could easily be catered for though (if not as multiple runs, then with a run-off road that makes it a circuit).
#72 - Gunn
Quote from JamesK :First car race: 1895, first hillclimb: 1897 - you're right, but only just

Other than the Paris-Dakar rally, can you think of any other city to city races that are current forms of motorsport though?

City-to-city races were outlawed due to the dangers to competitors and the public. Italy was the last country to stop these events though they still do a watered-down Targa Florio these days, I believe. The old Targa Florio and Mille Miglia races were the birthing grounds for many famous racers and cars. The races were held on treacherous roads through day and night and the roads were not closed to public traffic and livestock. Originially a driver and a mechanic were required to ride in the car, according to the rules of the day.
#73 - JTbo
Quote from Gunn :City-to-city races were outlawed due to the dangers to competitors and the public. Italy was the last country to stop these events though they still do a watered-down Targa Florio these days, I believe. The old Targa Florio and Mille Miglia races were the birthing grounds for many famous racers and cars. The races were held on treacherous roads through day and night and the roads were not closed to public traffic and livestock. Originially a driver and a mechanic were required to ride in the car, according to the rules of the day.

I believe these have come to place of those city to city races and original races are evolved to today's staged rallies, like WRC.

Those like Gumball have bit same spirit like old days, but there is much stuff that can only be hated and also many participants have no brains. Also those are much illegal and organizers are not stating it as race.

Simulating something like Gumball would of course be rather problematic, I do think that we never see proper simulation of such complex environment, also morale is going to be questioned if someone makes such sim. But sure it would be fun, specially with very real level damage modeling so anyone can find out what it really means when you mess thing at legal speeds, well I can keep dreaming.
Quote from Zipppy :Do I hear turbo?

you hear gear wine ... im gonna sit and dream/wait till LFS gets a hillclimb course/and or circuit with hillclimb and downhill (erase the corners which make this dream track fun to understand whut im saying and u get a very large oval). p.s. my signature.

i realise now that i only drift cuse well...i find it fun/my pc is too slow for me to bother racing on a "bad(net)day"/ and my experiance drifting enhances my skills in driving very fast however my drift times are too close in relation to my speed times for me to understand where i go right/wrong and it makes me happy.

Mountian Drift Course
(482 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG